100 Million Year Old Spider with Tail Discovered in Amber

Discussion in 'Alternative Thought Forum' started by Christian, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Christian

Christian Knight Moderator

Original Poster
    +64
    Scientists have discovered an entirely new species of a prehistoric arachnid that resembles a spider with a tail. The discovery was described in a paper (found here) and suggests the creature, found in amber in Myanmar, lived sometime during the mid-Cretaceous age.

Article here: Remarkable spider with tail discovered after 100 million years

2. RocSalt

RocSalt Pawn

+1
    Hmm this looks interesting. Almost like a scorpion and spider hybrid. I actually have a theory that they were once the same. Because of changing environments, they had to adapt and evolve to survive. The spiders that didn't need webs but needed to survive harsh rises and drops in temperature, those became scorpions while others that needed webs and such, became spiders. I think this is the case with a lot of what we see in today's world. Adaption, evolution, and survival.

3. Christian

Christian Knight Moderator

Original Poster
    +64
    This may very well be the case with spiders and scorpions.

It's funny how evolution has kind of been used as a way to dismiss the whole "divine creation" narrative, but now, it's almost as if evolution, itself, has become a religion for the scientific community.

For all of those who are completely convinced that the theory of evolution is the answer to all the diverse forms of life we currently see on our planet, I'd invite you to check out the concept known as "irreducible complexity."

Here's a thread I started on it a while back: "Irreducible Complexity" Challenges Darwin's Theory

It's actually a really fascinating concept and basically suggests that some organic systems could not have evolved from something simpler, because the systems are very complex, yet if you take any one away piece of the system (to make if more simple) the system completely fails and no longer functions. Thus, the system would be completely useless in a simpler form. In other words, evolution as a theory is irrelevant in the case of a complex organic system which cannot be reduced to a more simple form.

4. criptick

criptick Pawn

+1
    Evolution to me was always "adaptation" like Roc mentioned. You have to survive so the body, the physical has to adapt. This comes with changes. It would make no sense for evolution to mean a process of growth when if we look at animals and insects today, they have become smaller. You can even look at fish in an aquarium. Certain kinds will only grow so big in a smaller tank (goldfish) but if you transfer them to a pond, their size more than triples in a lot of cases. Creation is an intelligent design, it is not an accident.