A Note About Censorship, Advertising, and O3P

Discussion in 'Alternative Thought Forum' started by Aristarchus, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Aristarchus

Aristarchus Candidate Administrator

+8
    Original Poster
    I want to address a very peculiar thing that has recently started to happen in the world of advertising and its relation to the Internet.

First, if you take a look around at O3P, you'll notice that we are using ad banners as a way of off-setting our monthly operating costs. I want to be clear that O3P is not about making money. It's about offering another place on the Internet where people may engage in free and open discussion about important events and subjects. Unfortunately, the reality is that we need ad revenue to help keep the forum going.

The ironic part is that our users may be posting critical (or even negative) comments about the very companies or products being shown in the advertising spaces of our site.

From the advertiser's perspective, it would make sense for them to not want their ads to appear on a negative forum post about them. And this is nothing new. If you ever saw a "bad" episode of one of your favorite TV shows, the poor quality of the episode's story might not be entirely the fault of the show's writers. In the old days of television, the producers of TV shows would actually have to go out and find sponsors. Before a company would agree to a sponsorship, the potential advertiser actually played a role in the writing of the script, to the point where entire episodes would be changed to appease the will of the advertiser! This is something Rod Serling often complained about.

Today, with all the accusations of "fake news" and "extremist content" being thrown at the alternative media in an attempt to discredit it, the solutions coming out of Silicon Valley have been identical across-the-board: users should flag and report (and essentially censor or shut down) the alternative media.

Paul Joseph Watson explains the situation rather succinctly when he says, "telling the truth is just not advertiser-friendly"...

I don't want to brand O3P as a right-wing discussion forum, because the admin are actually very apolitical. Having said that, liberal and progressive (i.e., mainstream) opinions are often ideologically and philosophically opposed to "alternative" subjects, such as individual liberty trumping the common good and the right to bear arms. The idea that conservatism has become the enemy of the mainstream is actually a fascinating historical development in our civilization and certainly warrants more discussion, but I digress...

Time and time again I have wondered whether or not the days of Internet forums are over. Have forums outlived their usefulness? How many millennials are using forums today? And why should they, when they have Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Snap Chat? Matt Drudge recently called the giant corporate social media sites "the ghettos of the Internet." The Internet was never supposed to be like this. The masses of people were never supposed to congregate to just a handful of monopolistic Web sites.

On Three Points is a little independent forum that is trying to offer you an alternative to the corporate social media giants. This is a place where you can come and discuss sensitive or controversial information about conspiracy theories, the paranormal, UFOs, or whatever else without using your real name. Posting under a screen name means you can't get attacked and ostracized by your friends and family for having a different opinion. And this is extremely valuable, especially in today's world of easily offended, ultra-sensitive people that publicly share every little detail about their personal lives.

ALL forums (even the biggest ones out there) are facing extinction, so we are asking you to please support us in any way you can. If you think the alternative media would play nice with your product, service or company, please consider advertising with us.

We fully recognize that On Three Points may be flagged as an "extremist/offensive content Web site" in the very near future for our belief in allowing our users to exercise free speech. We may very well lose our advertising revenue and be dropped by our ad network, so we are making preparations for that.

At this point, all I can say is that a very new kind of war is being waged against the alternative media. Attempts are being made to try and shut down freedom of speech on the Internet. If you enjoy the free exchange of ideas and the right to express an opinion that differs from the majority, please do not let the alternative media die!