On this day in history, September 9, 1791... The new federal city, Washington, D.C., was named to honor the first President of the United States, George Washington, by the three commissioners overseeing its construction, which included the Roman Catholic Daniel Carroll, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, and who was educated by Jesuits in Maryland and France. Prior to the federal city, Congress met in several areas, including Philadelphia. In 1783, a band of unpaid soldiers besieged Congress while its members were meeting in an event known as the Pennsylvania Mutiny of 1783. This event emphasized the need for the national government to not rely on any state for its own security. Consequently, the United States Constitution authorized the establishment of a "District...(to) become the seat of the government of the United States." Although online sources are scarce, it is rumored that the land within Prince George's County, Maryland that was selected to become "Washington, D.C." was originally named Rome, Maryland. Additionally, it has been suggested that Rome was the original community name of Capitol Hill, upon which the United States Capitol Building now sits, and the Potomac River was originally named the "Tiber River" after the river that ran through Rome, Italy. As the story goes, the owner of this tract of land, Daniel Carroll, transferred the community to the federal government after the amendment to the United States Constitution sanctioning the building of the new United States capital city was ratified. Daniel Carroll's brother, John, became the first Roman Catholic bishop in America, presiding over the See of Baltimore, which included Washington, D.C. John Carroll also founded the Jesuit Georgetown University.