The Lattimer Massacre

Discussion in 'Alternative Thought Forum' started by Christian, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Christian

Christian Knight Moderator

Original Poster
    +47
    On this day in history, September 10, 1897...

Nearly four hundred unarmed mine workers went on strike to protest harsh and unfair working conditions in the anthracite coal mines of Northeastern Pennsylvania. Nearly all of the strikers in this particular demonstration were Slavic and German immigrants, with the Slavs being among the most exploited of all mine workers. In the early morning hours of September 10, they organized at a coal mine in Harwood, Pennsylvania and began to march along public roads toward a coal mine in Lattimer, Pennsylvania, which was located about 5 miles away. The demonstrators were confronted by law enforcement officials several times on the road and ordered to disperse, but the strikers kept marching. Finally, when the strikers reached the outskirts of Lattimer, the demonstrators were again confronted by a county sheriff and his posse of 150 men and were ordered to stop. A few men refused to obey the order, and the demonstrators were then fired upon, many of whom were shot in the back as they were running away. Nineteen people were killed and approximately 36 more were wounded. Despite the medical evidence showing that nearly all the unarmed strikers had been shot in the back, the sheriff and his deputies were acquitted at the trial. The Lattimer Massacre marked a turning point in American labor history.