Violent Protests Expected as Israel Installs Metal Detectors Around Temple Mount

Discussion in 'Conspiracy Forum' started by Helios, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Helios

Helios Neophyte Premium Member

Original Poster
    +43
    Last week, three Arab Israelis shot and killed two police officers who were guarding one of the entrances to the Temple Mount in Jerusalem. Now, a plan is in place by Israel to install metal detectors around the site. Over the past few days, Muslim protesters have been demonstrating against the move, and some of the protests turned violent. Now, Israeli police are bracing for a new round of violent protests on Friday over the increased security.

Security cabinet gives police final say on Temple Mount metal detectors

2. Helios

Helios Neophyte Premium Member

Original Poster
    +43
    I'm not sure if people are aware of the controversy surrounding the Temple Mount. I wasn't until I read up on it...

The site is home to the Dome of the Rock, an Islamic shrine, which was completed in 691 AD. Prior to that, it was home to the Roman temple Jupiter Capitolinus after the Second Temple was destroyed in 70 AD. And, of course, the site is also where many believe the original Temple of Solomon, which contained the Ark of the Covenant, was constructed.

Despite its links to Judaism, did you know that Jews aren't actually allowed to pray there? And supposedly, if you even look like you might be praying there, you'll immediately be removed by police. The reason is because it is believed that Jews praying there would raise tensions between them and the Muslim community. Jews are allowed to visit during the same time tourists are let in, but Jewish prayer is restricted to the Wailing Wall.

Even high-profile visits by Israeli Jews to the Temple Mount are discouraged because those visits can provoke violence. Palestinians apparently worry that visits like these are akin to an intrusion or even a provocation.

At the end of the day, Israeli police are still in charge of security. But given how sensitive and contentious the site is, one really has to wonder the impact these metal detectors might have on an already heated situation.

The Jewish Divide Over Jerusalem's Most Sensitive Holy Site